Samantha

Samantha

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Moving Out

Greetings Readers,
The time has come for me to leave home and go to college. This idea has excited and frightened me for quite a while now.
I have decided that blogging about my college experiences will allow me to make better sense of them (as writing has always helped me in the past), let my family know how I'm doing and, hopefully, help other college or college-bound kids understand and cope with life away from home.
Today is Wednesay. I move in to Western Michigan University at nine A.M. Monday morning.
I am terrified.
I will miss my family, the familiarity of my home, and my boyfriend of two years-Shawn.
It feels good to know that I will have free reign of my life-no more asking if I can go out or stay out late. I just can. However, the one person I always want to go out with is staying here, two hours away from Western.
It is sad to say that I have no true friends at the moment, but it's true. Yes, I talked to a lot of people in High School, but they were unreliable, selfish, and, sometimes, just stupid. I know I will make friends in college, people who are as eager to learn as me and want to make a difference in other people's lifes with their degrees. People who want to help you and let you be there for them. People who actually care about your feelings and want to hang out with you.
I'm not worried that Shawn and I will call it quits because of the distance, or because we're both busy and can't see each other much. That doesn't mean I won't miss him, just like I'll miss Mom (so called Mamooska henceforth) and my stepdad Curt, my sister Jordan, my grandparents, my Dad and stepmom, Dar (who I will be calling Mom from now on). Of course, they aren't going anywhere. Shawn is family and I know he isn't going anywhere either.
--
It's been terribly expensive to get everything I need for college. Luckily, my parents have not hesitated to get me what I need and then some. I now have a great laptop and T.V., as well as a new mini fridge with freezer, thanks to Mom. My older sister, Nicole, gave me her futon from when she was in college. My Grandmas (Mamooska's mom and Curt's mom) have bought me bathroom and cooking supplies, such as toothbrush cases and first aid kits and cooking pots and pans and spatulas. Everyone has been very helpful.
Even with four days until move in, my long list is still not entirely checked off. Tomorrow and Friday, Mamooska is taking me shopping for the rest of it.
So
Tip #1: Don't freak out just because you don't have everything packed and ready to go.
--

Okay, last thing.
My roommate's name is Emily.
She seems really great, but I'm not counting on anything right now-since we haven't loved together yet.
She seems even more excited about meeting each other and what not than I am-and I'm pretty excited.
I got lucky. Haha. I'm aware.
I know a lot of times roommates don't get along, but they have to make it work.
So
Tip #2 Your roommate doesn't have to be your friend.


Well, that's all for now.
I'll blog again on Monday and let you know how the move-in went.

No comments:

Post a Comment