Samantha

Samantha

Friday, September 9, 2011

First Week Finale

And the first week is OVER!
I have managed to do most of my homework, so the weekend is pretty much free. YAY!
Sort of..
I still have two assignments for Precalc-due Monday-and I have to read Chapter 2 of my Gendered Lives book (only 12 pages, but it's boring).
That will take longer than you think.

--

I expected to have more friends by now...or at least potential friends. However, class is already...well, class. I haven't had a chance to take to anyone. No ice breakers, no syllabus okay feel free to chat before you go, nothing. I figured as much, sorta, but I'm pretty much alone except for Emily. And Lindsey to an extent.
I guess I'm okay with that, but it will be a long year if I don't start making friends.
The closest I came was today, waiting for Anne-Marie (the French Professor) to show up, I chatted with this guy named Philip. But I don't know if that will go anywhere.
There's Aaron too, who I met on the train, but I don't know about that. I'm not sure if we'll be friends. I mean, we've played WoW together, but I'm not entirely comfortable hanging out with him for some reason. I don't know...
Anyway, so I need to find things to go to on campus to meet people, I just don't know where or when I'll be able to-during the week I have so much homework I can't do anything else. Maybe on the weekends. I'll figure something out.

--

I tried to nap today, since I was feeling very unwell this morning when I woke up at 8 (late! I nearly missed my bus). I think I'm catching a cold and my cough is getting really bad. But I couldn't sleep.
Emily and I ordered some Asian food from "Buddha's Belly," a place I found out about at Bronco Bash (which was otherwise not fun, I'm not sure why. Everyone else seemed really happy about it). It was good, but not as good as Asian Garden back home. I invited Emily to come eat with me there some time. :)

--

I'm getting along really well with Emily, as well as Lindsey (and Celeste, when I see her), which is great. But sometimes I feel like she and Lindsey don't like me as much as they like each other. Haha. And Emily's friend, Maddy, spends a lot of time here and she makes me uncomfortable, sort of, for reasons I can't explain.
ANYWAY!
I feel good about being friends with Emily, since we both came in to it expecting not to be friends (in the sense that we lived together, but didn't have to be real friends).
We've been cracking up all day.

--

ABOUT CLASS (that's interesting-ish and I haven't already talked about)

Precalc Lab: It's a T.A. who "teaches" the class. He really just answers any questions we have and shows us how to do problems that someone in the lab didn't understand from the homework. And the thing is, even if I don't have any questions, I still have to go, because there's a quiz every Wednesday (the only day we meet).
Here's the kicker-my T.A. is Chinese; he moved here two years ago. He even told us to talk to him like is a 5 year old, because he doesn't understand when we talk fast or use big words. His accent is pretty heavy, so I don't even know what he says sometimes, but I feel bad that I don't understand, because I can tell he's trying to enunciate.

Heroes + Villains: This was a weird professor with poor taste in movies. We watched part of the movie version of our 'textbook' and it was...awful. I don't want to go in to detail, but if you're curious-rent The Decameron. :/ Beware, though. It's a lot of nudity and a ridiculous plot.

Here's a link to the IMDB for the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065622/

Needless to say, I switched out of Heroes and Villains and got in to Peoples of the World. I haven't been to the class yet, because it's Mondays and Wednesdays and I switched Wednesday night.

--

No tips this blog, sorry.

1 comment:

  1. Awe Sweetheart. Don't worry, you will make friends. It has only been a week really and you are far to friendly and out going not to. Love you, Mamooska

    ReplyDelete